Mindfulness in Nature

Go to a Forest. Walk slowly. Breathe. Open all your senses.

 

“I only went out for a walk and finally concluded to stay out till sundown,

for going out, I found, was really going in.”

John Muir, The Wilderness World of John Muir

 

For centuries, monks, mystics and philosophers went to the forests, mountains, deserts to find refuge and inspiration. When we are distressed, overwhelmed, tired or upset, going outside for some fresh air, taking a walk in the park, or wandering deep into the woods quickens our attention, bringing us instantly into the present. Being outdoors provides us mental space and clarity, allowing our bodies to relax and our hearts to feel more open, confident and at ease.

 

Using meditative mindfulness techniques with outdoors practices can be a powerful way to transform and awaken us to life.

 

Science is now highly interested in the benefits for the mind and health of forests and nature. Here are three findings of nature looking at our health:

 

  • Nature makes us happier and less brooding: Spending 60 minutes in nature helps you disengage from brooding, ruminating and cultivate a deeper social connection to those around you.

 

  • Short nature walks boost our well-being: A 40- to 50-minute walk seems to be enough for physiological changes, mood  and probably for the quality of attention.

 

  • Nature strengthens our immune system: cortisol (the hormone associated with stress), heart rate and blood pressure are reduced, the level of natural killers celles is strongly increased (138% after 3 days in Nature)

Outdoors activities

At Fontainebleau forest near Paris & in north Madrid mountains, in Spain both half a day, one day & 2-day residential courses and workshops are proposed for 2018-2019. 

 

With Mindfulness practices based on nature we will experience and discover the forest and Mindfulness meditation as a powerful tool to calm down, relax, nourish yourself and connect with nature.

 

In my workshops you will experience a series of outdoors activities to open your senses and curiosity, discover and connect with Nature, we will hike, sit, walk, meditate lay down, contemplate, hear and play with Nature. I’ll introduce you to Mindfulness & Nature Connection, both outdoor practices to support calm, joy, health & wellbeing. Any prior meditation experience is required. Speaking French, English & Spanish! A day long workshop or half a day, for a couple, group of friends or family, in groups or private, you’ll be amazed discovering the beautiful Fontainebleau forest or Sierras in Madrid through Mindfulness.

2019-2020 courses & workshops, please clic here

More about Nature benefits and Nature connection

“Outside is an Oasis”

 

We spend 90% of pour time indoors!

Given the intense interest in the architectural community on health and wellness inside buildings, encouraging green building with healthy and green materials, all great for us and for the planet, but … may we also reflect on our behaviours as humans ? Specially when research shows that spending time in nature has healing and restorative power.

Being outdoors increases well-being, helps alleviate stress and anxiety, promotes creativity, assists with recovery from mental fatigue, helps restore attention, boosts the brain’s ability to think, and engages the senses.

Physical activity. Beautiful scenery. Who doesn’t like the occasional hike in the great outdoors? And when you add a little extra awareness to the experience, your outing can benefit both your body and your mind.

“I-Tuning with Nature”

 

It is estimated that approximately 90% of our attention is taken up with our thoughts. That leaves just about 10% of our attention for …. ? If you try to engage all your attention and senses when you go in Nature you’ll feel that in your body and mind.

 

Nature boosts Kindness, Happiness and Creativity. Being in Nature you can easily connect with a sense of “Awe”. Awe means being in the presence of things greater than our individuals selves, that take us beyond the ideology of self-interest. The sense of “Awe” is experienced when we encounter things that are vast and large and that transcend our current understanding of things. The sense of “Awe” makes you feel alive, confident, with hope and unimaginable new possibilities.

5 minutes Winter practice in Nature

If you have the occasion, as a ritual starting the day and before jumping in all your activities

 

* Go outside (your garden or closest park) and close your eyes.

* Notice your body and the cool temperature, be aware of all life around you.

* Take some deep breaths, focusing your attention on the air as you breath.

* Open your eyes and observe the landscape, the trees, the sky, the light and the different colours.

* Acknowledge changes and cycles in Nature.

* Close your eyes, take some deep breaths and connect with a sense of gratitude before leaving your spot

blanca@myfullness.net
+33 6 89 64 51 37